Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alana Gibson Alana Gibson is offline

Default old car tires as raised beds

Tater wrote:

Tater wrote:

I am planning some modified sqare foot gardening and am looking for
some advice......

ok, I realized that I could make rasied beds with boards, carboard
boxes and whatever, I have a lot of tires the previous owner had
abandoned and was wondering if I could use them for my raised beds?
black rubber tends to absorb sunlight to help heat the earth in the
early spring for ealier planting times, they cost nothing for me to use
(and cost $2.50 each to get rid of).

someone want to tell the pros and cons?

Here's a link to a magazine article that may be helpful:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders98.html

I've had very good results using car tires as planters for Gardenias
and tractor tires for giant flowered Hibiscus.