Old 04-11-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default What are the issues?

Mick Fournier wrote:
Nancy and Kathy,

Both of your letters are interesting and thought-stimulating.

Mick

Somehow Mick I expected more out of you. Of course, it was either very
early or late when you posted. Don't go out of orchids because of this
discussion, at least not before I feel confident enough to buy a flask
or two.

Some of this may start to sound pretty abstract, so bear with me.

Can you grow multi tier? Not necessarily orchids or even plants.
What about small caged animals that would fit under the enches.
Earthworms, exotic (decorative) poultry, finches, canaries, parrots,
rabbits, cavies, mice, rats, lambs, kids (baby goats), reptiles,
amphibians, tarantulas, etc. All would contribute carbon dioxide, some
that require no additional heat could help raise the temperature by
occupying a trermal layer that we ordinarily avoid using. Properly
designed and maintained, there are by-products that can be recycled
back to the orchids or marketed and sold. Commercially available
"composted steer manure" sells for 4 cents a pound in a 40# bag.

For the squeamish, mushrooms or medicinal herbs (not that kind, don't
want anyone breaking into your space).

Are grants available, do some homework. What does it take to qualify?
Sheltered workshops were extensive in my area. That may not be the
answer, but in the past grants and tax breaks were available to
employers. It will add expenses. Payroll, book keeping,
justification, etc. They may require more expansive supervision to
keep their environment safe, limited use of chemicals, dangerous
equipment, etc. Most of the work is mind numbing and repetitive,
watering, transplanting, cleaning, packing and more. That's assuming a
mental handicap, unfair and limiting, but what most people conjure in
their mind. Are other qualifying individuals available? People to do
more critical work or "help drive the bus". Unfair question, but if
you wanted to expand your operation, would you hire a deaf/mute,
paraplegic, burn victim, someone in recovery, or parolee? I know
that's another can of worms, and Ray will probably say I'm being naive.
He'll be right, too.

What about training programs? Is there a local 4-H, FFA, agricultural
extension? Could you offer a fee based seminar or small class? Charge
them to learn how to transplant and care for their beginner orchid,
have some plants, books, and products available for sale at the same
time.

Do you advertise? Possibly there would be more local buyers if they
knew you existed. Cheat. Wear an orchid corsage to an event you are
going to attend anyway, deliver a plant or arrangement to a friends
workplace, church, wedding, or funeral. Leave a CONSPICUOUS card on
the gift. Don't make it too elaborate or expensive. The first may be
gratis, but have ongoing benefits. Maybe a table top display in a
business. Most won't let you set prices there, but people would see
your name and possibly your web address. Post your hours, prices,
point of contact there.

Before you build or expand, evaluate the greenhouse or your potential
growing area. Most are grotesquely inefficient. Wasted space, energy,
and resources. Would a better design or location give you a more
competive edge. I've been reading a solar greenhouse book and have
some articles on energy saving features. Sure the book was published
in the 70's, but is still an area that is sumarily ignored.
Orientation, angle, materials, thermal mass, glazing, insulation,
reflectivity. In a northern or midwest climate a better plan could
save the cost of modification in one season of heating. Some features
are tax deductible, expand. Would you be able to look at old mines
where 8 lights = 1 heater. How about underground parking, former
warehouses, the basements of apartment complexes?

Maybe the AOS should change its name to the AOG, Inc. "American Orchid
Growers, Inc." If it sounded more like a business than a good old boys
club it would get more respect. Little better actually than a local
garden club. Images of high tea, flowered dresses, and frumpy hats.
It started as a society for the idle rich. Orchids probably have a
luxery tax that no one knows about, too. If it doesn't, someone
somewhere is plotting to impose one.

So much for now, just some ideas I've been kicking around. Yes I'm
aware there is a big difference between "in theory" and "in practice".

Nancy