Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Seed saving

Some months ago at the beginning of winter I tidied up my saved seeds
and got the whole collection down to just 2 plastic ice cream
containers, one of flowers and one of veg, or so I thought.

Last night as I was furkling in my pantry and trying to decide whether
to throw out the calf milk replacer or not and I came across another
collection of seeds - some saved, some bought. A plastic tub about 40
cm long by 30 cm wide. What a collection! All sorts of poppies -
Wind, Flanders and the Opium poppy (otherwise called the Paeony Headed
poppy if one buys it). Pumkin seeds galore (Queensland Blue,
Ironbark, Butternut, Jap and Bush) - beaut since they grow better from
seed that isn't too fresh. Curled Parsley, Aragula, saved carrot -
why save home grown carrot? Must have rocks in my head. Mustard
seeds. 7 Year beans from 4 different sources. Rockmelon seeds
(cantaloup) -2 different forms but both netted types). And the
tomatoes - more varieties than I could throw a stick at!

The list goes on (and I haven't even really mentioned any of the
flowers other than the poppies)! I love saving seeds from open
pollinated varieties but I really must either get busy and grow some
to resave or throw out most of them - perhaps I should just broadcast
them or sow them in poystyrene boxes and see what happens. Any
thoughts?