Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Bird tables....

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer have wrote
in message ...

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi all,

I needed a new bird tale last week and went of to the GC to have a look.
We have a modern house so I wanted a modern looking one to hang on some
steel trellis. The only ones available are ALL made of wood and very
traditional looking. Ended up getting one and painting it blue to at
least make it a bit less twee.

Then a got into a discussion with a poster here (the sculptor) about bird
feeders and tables.... He makes squirrel proof feeders which look great!
His site is www.llamaseven.com

I was wondering about a hanging steel bird table..... but while
discussing it over breakfast this morning Leo said that maybe metal is
not such a good idea as the birds feet might get stuck on it in freezing
weather?

I was thinking of that ribbed steel they use for floors etc or maybe a
hardwood base with a simple stainless steel roof?

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

I have seen metal hanging bird feeders in painted metal and verdigris
copper, but shiny things tend to scare birds e.g. the rows of cds I hang
up scare the birds off my Brassicas quite effectively and it seems that
you might get a similar effect with a stainless steel bird feeder?
Gill M

Good point. Maybe matt is the way to go...........
Jenny