Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default setting up a compost system

"Wily Wilde" wrote in message
From experience I found that it helps if you place the compost pile in an
area where it doesn't get a lot of sun.

If there is too much sun, I found that the compost dries up fast, and if
its dry - it won't breakdown.

However, you could prevent that by placing a hessian sack or plastic sheet
over it- to prevent the water evaporation.

Also if you are using black compost bins in a very sunny spot, I found
that - too much sun- and the worms will die... horribly. In Summer, the
black bins overheat and the worms try and crawl out through the lid. Then
they get stuck there and perish- leaving a slimy mess when u open it.

Good advice. Another reason not to put the compost pile in the sun is to
avoid the sun yourself when working the compost pile.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7