Old 05-11-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Seed saving

Farm1 writes
Some months ago at the beginning of winter I tidied up my saved seeds
and got the whole collection down to just 2 plastic ice cream
containers, one of flowers and one of veg, or so I thought.

Last night as I was furkling in my pantry and trying to decide whether
to throw out the calf milk replacer or not and I came across another
collection of seeds - some saved, some bought. A plastic tub about 40
cm long by 30 cm wide. What a collection! All sorts of poppies -
Wind, Flanders and the Opium poppy (otherwise called the Paeony Headed
poppy if one buys it). Pumkin seeds galore (Queensland Blue,
Ironbark, Butternut, Jap and Bush) - beaut since they grow better from
seed that isn't too fresh. Curled Parsley, Aragula, saved carrot -
why save home grown carrot? Must have rocks in my head. Mustard
seeds. 7 Year beans from 4 different sources. Rockmelon seeds
(cantaloup) -2 different forms but both netted types). And the
tomatoes - more varieties than I could throw a stick at!

The list goes on (and I haven't even really mentioned any of the
flowers other than the poppies)! I love saving seeds from open
pollinated varieties but I really must either get busy and grow some
to resave or throw out most of them - perhaps I should just broadcast
them or sow them in poystyrene boxes and see what happens. Any
thoughts?

My biggest problem is what to do with the rest of the seed packet when
I've sown half (share it with others means a) I have to find an other
who wants the same seed and b) it's difficult to re-sow after
germination or watering failure if I've given all the seeds away!), and
what to do with the other 250 sweet williams when I've planted out the
first 50.

You now have the same problem writ large ;-)

What you could do, is sow the whole lot, and let us know the age of each
batch and the germination rate. That's if you felt really dedicated to
improving the corporate urg knowledge base ;-)

--
Kay