Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default What are the issues?

Al: Altho I think stem props are a slightly different issue, compared to
seed pods, or even mericlones, I am pleased to report that the first 2 labs
got $0 of my money. The third lab, which is sending me progeny faster than
I can comfortably handle, invoices me only after shipping, so I also didn't
pay for the "no germination" pod that it reported. The first 2 labs didn't
get any $ from me, but they sure did mess up my long-term planning. [The 3d
lab also got back to me a lot faster, on the "no germination" pod, so I
could take it off my list of things to deal with.]

All of which begs the question of, what's a hobbyist to do with 1000 of a
particular clone or cross? That's a lot of plants for me to handle ...
Kenni

"al" wrote in message news:Q4t3h.958$244.476@trnddc01...
FWIW, this has happened to me too with stem props. I have heard many
people make the same statements. I have decided it is best to deal only
with companies who will refund the set up fees if EVERYTHING turns out to
get contaminated. I mean, honestly, *I* can do stem props with less than
100% contamination on 20 stems, if I only had the time. And if the best a
company can do is tell me to wipe them with Physan BEFORE I FedEx more
stems next time, I can do with out their EXPERTISE. How can you even tell
if they did anything but charge a credit card and report failure several
weeks later?