Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Seed saving

"K" wrote in message
Farm1 writes

Last night as I was furkling in my pantry and trying to decide

whether
to throw out the calf milk replacer or not and I came across

another
collection of seeds - some saved, some bought.

The list goes on (and I haven't even really mentioned any of the
flowers other than the poppies)! I love saving seeds from open
pollinated varieties but I really must either get busy and grow

some
to resave or throw out most of them - perhaps I should just

broadcast
them or sow them in poystyrene boxes and see what happens. Any
thoughts?

My biggest problem is what to do with the rest of the seed packet

when
I've sown half (share it with others means a) I have to find an

other
who wants the same seed and b) it's difficult to re-sow after
germination or watering failure if I've given all the seeds away!),

and
what to do with the other 250 sweet williams when I've planted out

the
first 50.

You now have the same problem writ large ;-)

I see you know what I'm facing :-))

What you could do, is sow the whole lot, and let us know the age of

each
batch and the germination rate. That's if you felt really dedicated

improving the corporate urg knowledge base ;-)

Not a bad suggestion but given the amount of seeds and the area I have
available, I'd have to do it over a number of years :-))