Old 06-11-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] googlemail2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default Question about repotting

I bought an orchid a month or so ago. It had three flower spikes.
One was in flower the other two were in bud.

The flowers were pink phals and they faded within a week or so. About
two weeks later the buds started to open and much to my surprise they
are white phals. Obviously I have two plants in one pot. It's a 6"
pot and the plants are so close together that I didn't notice - or look
that carefully.

The problem is the pot is completely filled with roots. There are so
many that it's sometimes hard to figure out if the plant needs to be
watered because there is so little soil to test.

Also the pink phal plant seems to be doing poorly. Some leaves have
turned yellow and the others don't look all that healthy. I have cut
off the flower spike which stopped blooming and had no buds.

I don't want to disturb the white phal which is doing very well and has
two spikes with lots of buds.

Should I leave things alone for now, just removing leaves from pink
phal? Should I try somehow to remove the pink phal plant from pot? I
doubt I could do that without cutting roots from the other plant. What
about all the roots growing on top of the pot? Looks like a bowl of
spaghetti. Many roots are clearly dead.

I'm a new orchid enthusiast. I know I love them but don't know a great
deal about repotting - actually more like next to nothing about it. I
did get the feeling from other postings that it's not a good idea to
repot a plant that's in bloom.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jane