Old 06-11-2006, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default honeysuckle id

Charlie Pridham wrote:
1) small leaved low bush with oval leaves with pointed ends, about 1cm
long, evergreen, inconspicuous flowers, seen in municipal plantings
everywhere, and not L nitida (which has round ends to the leaves.

2) evergreen climber, leaves about 1.5cm long, oval, abundant small pink
flowers in early summer, branches festooned with red berries in late
summer

1st one is probably pileata.
2nd one is tricky as most of the main evergreen group have black berries.
if foliage is blue grey then may be splendida, difficult to grow and hard to
get hold of. another possibility is implexa but I have not seen the berries.

The implexa has dark red flowers and again black berries. I'm wondering
if the 2nd has been mistaken with a cotonoaster. How 'small' are the
flowers, trumpets, with 3 or 6 or 9 petals, rose like flowers with 6
rounded petals?