Old 06-11-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default What are the issues?

First, let me apologize to the group, and thank you Mick for not over
reacting.
I got other private responses that said "been there, tried that, it
didn't work".

Subsequent markets would need to be developed and would probably be the
'cash crop" supporting the orchids. It would increase labor and
require intensive management. It would be a logistics nightmare.

In my area, most of the ideas I kicked around are implemented on a
rotaional basis on the season and market. Poults, harvest and sorting,
fallow or equipment storage, bedding plants, etc. A recurrent rotation
with a concurrent or dual application based on the season. An empty
structure has the same monthly payment as one utilized to its full
potential. Power failures have wiped out entire brooder operations or
crops of seedlings. Doesn't matter whether it's from heat and lost
ventilation or from cold and lost ventilation. It's a wasted season.

I also understand lab. Human nature is to touch , pick up, and look
at. In my case they may have damaged sensitive electronics or optical
equipment, or be injured by unexploded ordnance. Dust and static free
doesn't mix well with open house and tours. I resented the intrusion
and distraction. I have zero tolerance for thieves.

Again, sorry and thank you.

Nancy

Mick Fournier wrote:
Nancy,

Yes, you have entered the abstract/esoteric realm of orchid growing. I
haven't let myself go past mesoteric much less exoteric (ref Gurdjieff). As
far as multi-tier growing I draw the line at anoles and snakes in my
greenhouse.

I will try and answer a few questions that seem applicable to my operation.
I don't advertise or leave little CONSPICUOUS notes on people's windshields
any more. I don't tell people where my greenhouse is and I don't let
customers onto the premises if they do find it. Mail order only is my rule
and I only want to talk to new customers that know my base regular clientele
(those who can vouch for this potential new customer as basically sane).
When orchid people from the "general public" (yuck) were on site I hated
listening to their endless orchid chatter about the same boring stuff over
and over plus they steal way too much when I turn my back... so no one gets
into the lab anymore except a few Germans from overseas when they fly into
Florida for a pick-up. Germans are the best orchid buyers in my book...
Chinese second, Hong Kongers are third, Japan tied for third, Vietnam
fourth. Aussies and Canadians will have to shoot me dead first before I
ever let them into the lab again. And Brits? Whoever heard of those
penny-pinching Brits buying orchids from Americans? Ha- ha... it will never
happen.

As far as subsidized training programs go, everyone I hire is registered
retard... I live in Florida, they're everywhere here like ants.

As far expanding the greenhouse goes I don't get too overly particular. I
concentrate on getting the water right and the shadecloth overhead
positioned right so as not to burn up the plants. If I build it the orchids
will come... like in the movie with Kevin Costner. If the orchids need a
special, environment controlled, super fancy greenhouse then I don't want
'em. Besides I sell flasks not plants. I am more concerned about my flask
store room.

If anyone from the government tries to impose a tax on orchids... then I say
we give them 3 "free" orchids. That'll fix their ass good.

I hope I have answered your questions good. I like helping new people get
off on the right foot when they're thinking about getting into this
business.

Now I am going to go shave to go to my real job... which ain't growing
orchids. I work at a real job where there is real money.

Mick

PS, The AOS name is OK as it is. I don't see a reason to change it.

=======================

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...
Mick Fournier wrote:
Nancy and Kathy,

Both of your letters are interesting and thought-stimulating.

Mick

Somehow Mick I expected more out of you. Of course, it was either very
early or late when you posted. Don't go out of orchids because of this
discussion, at least not before I feel confident enough to buy a flask
or two.

Some of this may start to sound pretty abstract, so bear with me.

Can you grow multi tier? Not necessarily orchids or even plants.
What about small caged animals that would fit under the enches.
Earthworms, exotic (decorative) poultry, finches, canaries, parrots,
rabbits, cavies, mice, rats, lambs, kids (baby goats), reptiles,
amphibians, tarantulas, etc. All would contribute carbon dioxide, some
that require no additional heat could help raise the temperature by
occupying a trermal layer that we ordinarily avoid using. Properly
designed and maintained, there are by-products that can be recycled
back to the orchids or marketed and sold. Commercially available
"composted steer manure" sells for 4 cents a pound in a 40# bag.

For the squeamish, mushrooms or medicinal herbs (not that kind, don't
want anyone breaking into your space).

Are grants available, do some homework. What does it take to qualify?
Sheltered workshops were extensive in my area. That may not be the
answer, but in the past grants and tax breaks were available to
employers. It will add expenses. Payroll, book keeping,
justification, etc. They may require more expansive supervision to
keep their environment safe, limited use of chemicals, dangerous
equipment, etc. Most of the work is mind numbing and repetitive,
watering, transplanting, cleaning, packing and more. That's assuming a
mental handicap, unfair and limiting, but what most people conjure in
their mind. Are other qualifying individuals available? People to do
more critical work or "help drive the bus". Unfair question, but if
you wanted to expand your operation, would you hire a deaf/mute,
paraplegic, burn victim, someone in recovery, or parolee? I know
that's another can of worms, and Ray will probably say I'm being naive.
He'll be right, too.

What about training programs? Is there a local 4-H, FFA, agricultural
extension? Could you offer a fee based seminar or small class? Charge
them to learn how to transplant and care for their beginner orchid,
have some plants, books, and products available for sale at the same
time.

Do you advertise? Possibly there would be more local buyers if they
knew you existed. Cheat. Wear an orchid corsage to an event you are
going to attend anyway, deliver a plant or arrangement to a friends
workplace, church, wedding, or funeral. Leave a CONSPICUOUS card on
the gift. Don't make it too elaborate or expensive. The first may be
gratis, but have ongoing benefits. Maybe a table top display in a
business. Most won't let you set prices there, but people would see
your name and possibly your web address. Post your hours, prices,
point of contact there.

Before you build or expand, evaluate the greenhouse or your potential
growing area. Most are grotesquely inefficient. Wasted space, energy,
and resources. Would a better design or location give you a more
competive edge. I've been reading a solar greenhouse book and have
some articles on energy saving features. Sure the book was published
in the 70's, but is still an area that is sumarily ignored.
Orientation, angle, materials, thermal mass, glazing, insulation,
reflectivity. In a northern or midwest climate a better plan could
save the cost of modification in one season of heating. Some features
are tax deductible, expand. Would you be able to look at old mines
where 8 lights = 1 heater. How about underground parking, former
warehouses, the basements of apartment complexes?

Maybe the AOS should change its name to the AOG, Inc. "American Orchid
Growers, Inc." If it sounded more like a business than a good old boys
club it would get more respect. Little better actually than a local
garden club. Images of high tea, flowered dresses, and frumpy hats.
It started as a society for the idle rich. Orchids probably have a
luxery tax that no one knows about, too. If it doesn't, someone
somewhere is plotting to impose one.

So much for now, just some ideas I've been kicking around. Yes I'm
aware there is a big difference between "in theory" and "in practice".

Nancy