Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default honeysuckle id

La Puce writes

Charlie Pridham wrote:
I can not see anyone mistaking a honeysuckle for anything else !

20% of our class last year couldn't identify the lonicera nitida
bagensen's gold and the lemon beauty one.

Were they in flower at the time? Unless you have grown a plant yourself,
it can sometimes be difficult to identify on leaves.

Also
we don't know what the flowers look like. Little white flowers the OP
said?

No, I said pink. And in case you're wondering, it's not a jasmine
either.

and I have
certainly never come across a climbing Cotoneaster.

I've got two - one trails down and up, following a fence, the other is
spread against a wall, as if climbing )

Out of 180 variety of honeysuckles, the vast majority are bush.

Other thoughts are Lonicera x americana which has the right colour berries
(and is a hybrid of implexa) but this for me flowers all summer and autumn

Flowers are too small for that, too pink, and not as many in a cluster.
This is one of the ones that has flowers along the length of the stem,
rather than in a cluster at the end

I'd say the fragrantissima then. A bush that climbs ;o)

And has white flowers not pink.

I was assuming this would be something instantly recognisable, but since
it isn't, the best thing would be for me to come back in early summer
when the flowers are out. Many thanks to Janet and Charlie for the
pileata id.

--
Kay