Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Fred Garvin

Default Care for an Orchid?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:48:23 -0500, news wrote:

Hi. I have just recently started collecting Orchids. Although I find them
highly fascinating, intriguing and exotic, I also find them high
maintanence!

I have one orchid that I want to bring back to life. I purchased it
recently on sale (half off) at Home Depot. It had no flowers on it, just
the narrow leaves and stem.

I have had it for two months now, have watered it and have taken care of
it, but it still does not seem to "bud and bloom"...I would like to bring
this Orchid back to life...

What can I do to move up the blooming process? In addition, do Orchids
only bloom at certain times of the year?

Please advise.

Lisa Canfield

Sounds like a Phal to me. Water when almost dry, medium light, no sun.
Fertilize with a half strength solution of Orchid food every other
watering. It *MAY* push new flower buds on that stem or it may not.
If the stem turns brown cut it off about an inch above it's bsae.
Do NOT get water in the little bowl between the leaves of you'll get
crown rot. If you cut the stem just above the 2nd node point on the top of
the stem it *MAY* push a new branch and bud.

Welcome to the world of orchids!