Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_1_] Jonno[_1_] is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

:-)) I had to smile at that one. Sydney has been getting lovely
lots of rain. Not in the catchment of course but over many of the
burbs.
Not really. It has moisten the mulch/topsoil, but isn't really going
deep.

Well that's not what the TV weather reports have reported. Lots of
decent falls for months while the country has had sod all.

Hmph. It's true we had the wettest winter since 1999, according to the
Bureau, with 403mm. The problem is that even though June was cold, the temps
in July and Aug were above average (though the Aug rainfall was average).
Then September's rainfall was high, but we also had the hottest Sept ever...
followed by the hottest and driest Oct ever. And that hot September had the
August winds in it, too! The extra rain arrived at the right time for
establishing vegies, but of course it then evaporated.

IOW, it's the same here as everywhere else. The climate is hotter and
whackier. We do get more rain here, but it's less than we used to get between
El Ninos. We also don't get persistent rain much: it's much more showery and
intermittent than it used to be.

Yet Europe looks set for a chilly winter, and its already started...