Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Weed / plant identification

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
K wrote:
Phil L writes
Right, here goes...it's a wild plant, IE it grows anywhere, although
it's not everywhere!
it resembles dock in size and leaf shape except the leaves are
darker green, almost bluish and hairy and more pointed.
A clump of it would easily be about 14 inches across and high....I
don't want to know for any particular reason, I just keep seeing it
and don't know what it is, googling for hairy leaves gets nowhere

It'll be a lot easier to identify if you can ask again when it is in
flower! Meanwhile, as a starter, try burdock and tell us how it
differs from that ;-)

It's nothing like that :-p
And I don't recall ever seeing it in flower...it's leaves are oval but
pointed and a foot long, about 3 or 4 inches wide.
Looking at the plant, it is just all leaves, IE no visible stalks or other
trunky-type things.
It's dark green and the leaves are covered in fine hairs but feel
rough...there are no other visible characteristics really, except that it
grows in fallow fields, hedgerows etc

These below all have quite obvious "trunky-type" things so I guess I am
wrong on all of them but here goes :-)
Ragwort? (Senecio jacobaea)
Foxglove?
Teasel?
Mullein (Verbascum - very hairy; like hair city Arizona degree of
hairiness)?

Des
"Baffled in Dublin"