Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Rue

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny

Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the skin
to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin tone
and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the nasty
chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time of
year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue due
to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than
blondes ?

LOL! No idea. I have a fair skin and used to be dark haired.

Still am, at the back. Grey everywhere else :-)

Mary

Jenny