Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adder1969 adder1969 is offline

Default Petrol lawnmower basics

Theo Markettos wrote:

It worked when I saw it, and when I used it to mow the front lawn, and then
it kept stopping. Noticed there wasn't much petrol in it, so filled it up
with what I assume is unleaded from the can (the seller said he'd give me
the can as he couldn't be bothered to put it in his car). Now it's still
refusing to start. With a few priming pumps I can get it to run for about
1-3 seconds before it dies.

Make sure the ignition is on and the fuel inlet is open if there is
one. Sounds like maybe it needs choking for a cold start. If there is
no choke then I'd be surprised but try closing off some of the air
intake or adjust the fuel mixture to be richer. Some carb cleaner down
the inlet often works magic too.

Post a pic somewhere (not here) and someone might recognise it.