Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Weed / plant identification

"K" wrote in message
Phil L writes
K wrote:

Green alkanet? Leaves not quite that long but they are pointed, 3 to 4
inches wide, covered in fine hairs and feel rough. Comfrey?

I think it's comfrey!

I've been using google's advanced image search and of al the results,
there's only this one looks like the plant I have in mind, the rest of the
photos don't look anything like this one:

http://www.risc.org.uk/garden/plants/comfrey.htm

In that case, could be that or alkanet. Keep an eye on it next year and
see if you can catch it in flower. Forget-me-not blue flowers = alkanet,
white or purple = comfrey. Individual flowers should be 5 petalled, about
1/4 inch across, but will be more or less in a crook-shaped spire. Any
different flowers, and you'll have to come back again!

Alkanet is a very interesting plant ... its root imparts a pink dye which is
soluble in oils and fats. I know of no other dyes like that.

It used to be used to colour cosmetics and unguents.

Mary

Mary

--
Kay