Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\)[_1_] Keith \(Dorset\)[_1_] is offline

Default Planning a small orchard

Hi,

I want to plant up a small orchard this winter. The ground is clear.

The size of the plot is around 11m x 10m.

The site is south-facing, full sun, 18in of good, neutral topsoil, but quite
exposed from the east, only a few hundred yards from a cliff edge.
Reasonably sheltered from the north and the west with no shade from the
north and none for most of the day from the west.

Very little frost.

We already have two very productive Victoria plums on one side of the
southern edge, fortunately they don't produce enough shade to be a cause for
concern.

Have any list members and suggestions for the most productive fruit trees?

As wide a variety as possible please - and details of rootstock and
pollination requirements would be useful.

Many thanks in advance,

Keith