Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Antony Legat Antony Legat is offline

Default Ashes

Colin wrote:
Hello all,

After recent and past bonfires, I have collected the ash & charcoal for use
on the garden.

However, as there is no label on the side, I am unsure of how best to apply
it - is it best done in spring, or should it be put on all the way through
season?

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am talking about relatively small quantities, I have a carrier bag full, &
I guess application rate would be a scattering of a few handfuls per m^2

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin, I have used leftover ash to good effect earlier in the year -
I simply sprinkled it around my runner beans and let it be watered in.

I would think it best to apply it in the growing season as ash is
quickly leached away (charcoal probably less so). You could try covering
the topsoil with mulch after applying/watering though - a la
permaculture - (which I have just become interested in!).

Antony