Old 08-11-2006, 06:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens
[email protected] bearclaw@cruller.invalid is offline

Default String Trimmer Ideas

In article ,
wrote:

What is your objection to electric?

Well, I can't speak for the other guy, but I tried the B&D
battery-driven trimmer and it just couldn't handle the challenge. It
was okay for ~ 18 square feet of moderately weeded area (partly in a
sloping flood control ditch), but then it lost power and needed a
charge. The string is pretty thin too, so fibrous stalks defeated it.

Also, the cutting swath was just not very big (only about 8 inches,
IIRC).

I wound up getting a 2-stroke Ryobi trimmer with attachments and an
extra spool. It wields an 18-inch swath-- what a difference. Even with
all that, it still has trouble handling some of the areas I trim. But
it is light years ahead of the electric. It may take two or three
refuelings per job, but the string is much thicker, I have a choice of
different types of string (and yes, they really do make a difference)
and it has a much greater reach as well. Not to mention the
fantastically greater rotating speed of the spool head.

About the only operational drawback for the Ryobi over the B&D (apart
from noise and the higher initial $ layout) is that cut weeds and grass
tend to wrap themselves around the string spool shaft, so it needs
frequent attention and regular cleaning.

IAC, the B&D is gathering dust in the basement. Even if we moved to a
place with a smaller yard, I doubt whether I would go back to the
electric except under duress.

Whichever way you go, wear eye protection. I got one of those flip-down
full face shields after eating a few too many grasshopper parts with
minced dandelion/milkweed garnish. And watch out for cables, wires,
hornet's nests or cord hidden in the overgrowth.

--
Wefare for the rich
combat for the poor