Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Rue

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny
Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the
skin to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin
tone and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the
nasty chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time
of year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue
due to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than
blondes ?
Jenny

No- at a guess the statistics have been distorted by the fact that the
blondes did not notice that they had a reaction:-)

A prisoner in jail receives a letter from his wife: "Dear Husband, I have
decided to plant some lettuce in the back garden. When is the best time to
plant them?"

The prisoner, knowing that the prison guards read all mail, replied in a
letter: "Dear Wife, whatever you do, do not touch the back garden. That is
where I hid all the money."

A week or so later, he received another letter from his wife: "Dear Husband,
You wouldn't believe what happened, some men came with shovels to the house,
and dug up all the back garden."

The prisoner wrote another letter back: "Dear wife, now is the best time to
plant the lettuce."

Well at least it's on topic :~)
Jenny