Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default String Trimmer Ideas

lid wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

What is your objection to electric?

Well, I can't speak for the other guy, but I tried the B&D
battery-driven trimmer and it just couldn't handle the challenge. It
was okay for ~ 18 square feet of moderately weeded area (partly in a
sloping flood control ditch), but then it lost power and needed a
charge. The string is pretty thin too, so fibrous stalks defeated it.

Also, the cutting swath was just not very big (only about 8 inches,
IIRC).

I wound up getting a 2-stroke Ryobi trimmer with attachments and an
extra spool. It wields an 18-inch swath-- what a difference. Even with
all that, it still has trouble handling some of the areas I trim. But
it is light years ahead of the electric. It may take two or three
refuelings per job, but the string is much thicker, I have a choice of
different types of string (and yes, they really do make a difference)
and it has a much greater reach as well. Not to mention the
fantastically greater rotating speed of the spool head.

About the only operational drawback for the Ryobi over the B&D (apart
from noise and the higher initial $ layout) is that cut weeds and grass
tend to wrap themselves around the string spool shaft, so it needs
frequent attention and regular cleaning.

IAC, the B&D is gathering dust in the basement. Even if we moved to a
place with a smaller yard, I doubt whether I would go back to the
electric except under duress.

Whichever way you go, wear eye protection. I got one of those flip-down
full face shields after eating a few too many grasshopper parts with
minced dandelion/milkweed garnish. And watch out for cables, wires,
hornet's nests or cord hidden in the overgrowth.

There are reasons the 'pros' use gas of course. My 18V batt unit works
well for me. But I have a small, reasonably well kept suburban lawn.
The Ryobi is nice also because there are alternate attachments for it as
well.
If you need the power of a Ryobi, either get one or , as was suggested,
hire someone to maintain the area for you.
Another suggestion would be to begin replacing the growth that is there
now with sedge, ajuga or someother groundcover.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)