Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] farmerdill@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Sweet Potato storage

Gary Woods wrote:
Well, my first attempt was an incomplete disaster: The mail-order plants
looked puny, and the deer eating the foliage (twice!) didn't help any more
than my neglect in weeding or keeping the electric fence clear. When the
wire came off one of the insulators in the back corner and laid right
across the metal post, I might as well have put up a sign: "Bambi and
friends! Free salad buffet!"

But that's not the question, which is: How long can I expect the 4
carrot-sized tubers I got to keep in a cool dry cellar pantry?
Do I have any chance of growing the cuttings I took before frost through
winter to get my own plants in the spring.

OK, so that's _two_ questions.

The cuttings, which rooted quickly in water and now live in a glass on the
windowsill should really be potted in dirt, no?

Grow lights, which won't go up for a couple of weeks for reasons to
convoluted to list here, would probably help?

Well, 4.....Those who are old enough are welcome to enumerate the
attributes of the Spanish Inquisition, which nobody expects.

Peace,

1. As long as the temps are above 50 degrees F and you put them in
paper bag for moisyure retention, they should keep till late spring.

2. Treat those cuttings as an ornamental vining house plant and they
should go indefinitely. You will have to trim them back from time to
time. As long as you have light from a window, you probably will not
need grow lights.