Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Mole murdering

In article ,
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Rick F. wrote:

In article .com,
raycruzer wrote:

or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels.
Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of
mole tunnels?

I've ready 6-8' (yes -- FEET).. That would be some mighty expensive hole
digging if you ask me!

Wouldn't guarantee freedom from moles anyway - they can move across the
top of the soil (though reluctantly it seems).

Carl

We have found that they like straight lines. So a naturalized planting
may be more difficult for the moles. However I always thought it was
the voles that used the mole tunnels that damaged the larger scrubs and
young trees.
I wrap my "special plants " with gutter guards. Six inch fencing
buried 5 inches. I've a lot of metal in my garden ) This is not
perfect but seems to help.

Bill in Mole/Vole turf.

Ps The moles are looking for worms and grubs. My garden is loaded with
worms and grubs due to lots of organic matter. Win some loose some.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade