Old 23-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default HELP: Moss Lawn???

Nick Thudick wrote:

I live just outside of New York City in an apartment with a small
backyard (8' x 15').

There are several tall buildings around my backyard, so any part of my
backyard gets at most 4-6 hours of sunlight. I've tried for the past
few years cultivating some lawn area (even using "shady" seed), but it
thrives for about a month and a half, then withers and dies.

Someone recommended creating a moss lawn. I was skeptical, but after
some research online (http://www.mossacres.com/), I have to say that it
looks pretty cool. However, I'm concerned that while I don't get enough
sunshine for grass, am I getting too much sunshine for a moss lawn?

They don't like much direct sunlight, especially the afternoon
kind. Some herbs and short croundcovers like partial sun - but
I'm in AZ and not familiar with what frows in NY. Maybe creeping
thyme, ajuga or

Have you considered doing a paved or gravelled courtyard style
with plants in pots and moss in the cracks whereever it wants to
gro and herbs in the4 rest of the cracks?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both