Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Forsythia Pruning

Hi there

I have a large-ish forsythia that has got too big for the corner it is
meant to hide, and is overhanging lots of the lawn. However, I am
worried that by pruning it I will kill it, or just make it look
horrible.

The trouble is that most of the foliate and flowers are from the top,
and inside there is about 6-8 foot of brown stalks. I really need it to
be max 8 foot tall but it is nearer 12. How can I prune it back so that
it will grow from the ground up again without losing all the green
foliage for a season or two?

Cheers
ed