Old 09-11-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Grrr! Carrot, coriander seedlings munched!

On 9 Nov 2006 09:02:34 -0800, "John Ladasky"
wrote:

:Hi, folks,
:
:Gardening in San Jose, California -- USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 16.
:
:I started carrot and coriander seedlings about three weeks ago, for the
:winter. My coriander seedlings were about 2 cm high, and had put out
:their first true leaves. The carrot seedlings were a bit smaller, but
:coming along nicely.
:
:Some time yesterday -- I am not sure whether it was during the day, or
:at night -- something came along and munched every last carrot and
:coriander seedling to the ground. My nearby lentils, green onions, and
:mature carrots (I'm growing some more carrots, for seed) were
:untouched.
:
:I have occasional problems with snails, but I haven't seen any for
:several weeks. I also do not see any slime trails in the vicinity of
:my vegetable garden. I have never seen evidence of any burrowing
:animals in my yard. The nearby park has ground squirrels and gophers,
:but they would have to tunnel under several roads to get here.
:
:Who are my likely suspects, and how do I discourage them?
:
:Thanks for your advice!

I don't know, but wouldn't rule out birds. I believe they've victimized
me on occasion. You might try putting little cages or supporting some
chicken wire over your seedlings. It's worked for me.