Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Eileen Eileen is offline
Registered User

Location: Berwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simy1
Thanks, it is nice to be useful. What is horta?
Horta are edible greens which some may consider to be weeds, ie, dandelion greens, nettles, poppy plants before they flower. Usually collected from nearby fields horta can be boiled, steamed, fried or used raw in salads.

On my first visits to Greece I used to always wonder why all the women seemed to have bunches of 'weeds' in their hands, sometimes even larger bundles tied across their backs. It was not until later that I realised that I had actually been eating the weeds!

There is an interesting article about horta here...http://kosmyryk.typepad.com/wu_wei/2...tory_food.html