Old 09-11-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Grrr! Carrot, coriander seedlings munched!

On Nov 9, 12:02 pm, "John Ladasky" wrote:

Some time yesterday -- I am not sure whether it was during the day, or
at night -- something came along and munched every last carrot and
coriander seedling to the ground. My nearby lentils, green onions, and
mature carrots (I'm growing some more carrots, for seed) were
untouched.

I vote for birds as well. They eat seedlings for the moisture, not
really for food. I have had success putting out a pan of water one
month before planting seedlings. It takes them time to adapt to the new
source of water. With the water in the garden, they are there often,
and eat quite a bit of cabbage worms, so you want them there, just not
thirsty. I also experimented with taking the water away. They
disappeared, and the cabbages started getting ragged.