Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Ideas please underplanting Olive trees.

Eileen wrote:

On my first visits to Greece I used to always wonder why all the women
seemed to have bunches of 'weeds' in their hands, sometimes even larger
bundles tied across their backs. It was not until later that I realised
that I had actually been eating the weeds!

There is an interesting article about horta
here...http://tinyurl.com/y4snk4

excellent. They look very nutritious. No wonder they have a longer life
expectancy than americans despite being not as rich. I myself used to
pick wild greens, though by now i have such a large garden I don't need
to except for mushrooms.

Some of the stuff I planted in the garden are perennial or reseeding
greens that used to be my wild pickings, things such as sorrel, fiddle
heads, mache, arugula and chicory, and of course I still eat the
dandelions and purslane that come up as weeds in the garden. All stuff
that comes up without doing any work, is early and late in the season,
and keeps you strong.