Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Old 8HP Wards

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
The old 8HP Wards snowblower is up and running. Tank was empty, so
always the optimist, I just made sure it had oil, poured gas in, choked
it and and pulled the recoil a few times. No attempt to fire so I was
starting to take the cover off the carbuerator intake for starter fluid
when I realized this old bugger has an on/off toggle switch. Flipped the
switch but figured I had fouled the plug by this time so I dug down in my
stash and came up with a brand new J19LM. Put that sucker in and a few
pulls later - a puff of smoke and put-put-put - all systems are go. Well
not really "all". Very stiff shifting so I will pull the cover off the
lower end and clean off / lube the shaft so the drive wheel slides easy.
The chute was stiff also but I doused that with oil and that freed up
quickly.

So it looks like I can count on #3 for another year.

Ever give any of these relics an oil change, or you don't wanna spoil
them?

Oh no - I do - usually after I get them running once - probably before I run
it again. I buy oil by the case - usually have a case of 30W, a case of
10-30, a case of 10-40 - a little 5-30, some 20-50 & God knows what else.
I have a lot of brush, downed limbs, & old boards to burn so I use some of
the old oil to help start fires. Don't ask me what weight I use in each
machine because different "experts" have told me to use different weights
and my mind changes on a regular basis. As you know, the price of oil has
gone up but I find reasonably good oil for $1.50 per quart yet. The last
bunch I bought was actually from Rite-Aid chuckle