Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default Re Water Restrictions

0tterbot wrote:
wrote in message
Your complaint was that kit builders only offered mcmansions with
rumpus rooms.

I DIDN'T. for the third time, and with different wording yet again in an
effort to get the concept clear - there are not _enough_ modest houses on
offer, comparitively. in the modest-house range, there is _very little_
choice compared to the mcmansion-like market (in particular).

Earlier in the conversation you said the following:

we were looking at what sorts of kit homes etc one could buy.

snip
most of the companies had these horrific monstrosities out the
wazoo & only a few small, nice ones

snip
by "small" or "modest" or whatever i said, i meant, "has three
bedrooms (or two BIG bedrooms, like a proper old-fashioned house), but no
"rumpus room" as big as a football field, or "parent's retreat" or any of
that crap they come up with

These were the statements I was responding to. In my experience
there are plenty of modest designs around. That doesn't mean that
plenty of modest houses get *built*, but most builders (and especially
kit home builders) give a fair share of their design space to houses
in the above range. It isn't the builders' fault if their customers are
only interested in mcmansions.

ceramic tile for living areas is an abysmal idea from every imaginable angle

I lived in a house with ceramic tile floors for 16 years and loved it.
It has much to recommend it.

/rolls eyes

Try not to be obnoxious.

under the circumstances, it's somewhat of a struggle. it is not unreasonable
to be frustrated when someone won't just read what you said for what it is.

You say so much, and it just seems to go off in every possible
direction. One minute you are talking about the size of kit homes,
then you are waxing lyrical about how cheap (!) strawbale and
stone houses are. We have a communication problem, but I don't
think it is my end.

At any rate, this doesn't seem to have much to do with gardening.