Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default "Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rachel Aitch" wrote : one of my clients asked me why his entire
potato crop, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

Grown in too dry conditions.
And/or Wrong variety. You don't say which variety but floury ones
will do as you say especially if they have been subject to drought
conditions. Try some waxy ones and/or drought tolerant ones next
year.

Kestral (SE), Spey (MC) and Romano (MC) seem Ok for us.

For once I judged the weather right this year and started watering the
spuds regularly as soon as the weather turned dry. Most of what we
have at home this year is Desiree (I've grown some Desiree every year
for over 30 years now), and these are some of the best I've had so I'm
convinced it's down to growing conditions. I judge by how they turn
out at home with my wife's cooking because we've had some cooks in the
'big house' over the years who seem to be capable of destroying any
spud you give them.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp