Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default "Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why?

"Rod" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" replied to
"Rachel Aitch" wrote : one of my clients asked me why his entire potato
crop, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

Grown in too dry conditions.
And/or Wrong variety. You don't say which variety but floury ones will do
as you say especially if they have been subject to drought conditions.
Try some waxy ones and/or drought tolerant ones next year.

Kestral (SE), Spey (MC) and Romano (MC) seem Ok for us.

For once I judged the weather right this year and started watering the
spuds regularly as soon as the weather turned dry. Most of what we have at
home this year is Desiree (I've grown some Desiree every year for over 30
years now), and these are some of the best I've had so I'm convinced it's
down to growing conditions. I judge by how they turn out at home with my
wife's cooking because we've had some cooks in the 'big house' over the
years who seem to be capable of destroying any spud you give them.

Hello Rod.

Our problem was that this year we had a hosepipe ban from early on (it's
still in place!!!) so all watering was by hand with watering cans. (our
Council also say hosepipes are banned permanently anyway) Rather difficult
to consistently water the spuds that way as well as everything else so
mainly they had to take their chance.

We tried Desiree a couple of times years ago but found them rather prone to
slug damage, obviously not a problem with you.

Regards
Bob.