Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Xmas Tomatoes

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
u...
I've got to share this.

My ambition in Newcastle has always been to get tomatoes from the garden
before Xmas. This year, I've come in a real winner- grew some "Siberians"
in my little KMart $35 hot house and planted them out - complete with the
first fruit - in 2nd week of Sep - running the risk of the normal last
frost at the end of Sep. Fortunately the frost didn't happen and I picked
the first small but delicious fruit last week !!

Siberians are supposed to be the most cold tolerant and I initially bought
them to grow at the end of the season, but they are way ahead of the usual
earliest Romas. I'll let you know how late I can get them to grow .

Cheers,
Geoff

/is jealous

i had pre-xmas tomatoes last year (in canberra - everyone was shocked - it's
not the done thing there, you know ;-) but this year i started them from
seed & the whole enterprise has been just a total dud. most of them still
only have seed leaves & they're just not growing - it's absurd.

so today i broke & got some big juicy seedlings from the nursery.

good luck & let us know how you go!! you'll be famous! g
kylie