Old 23-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Alison

Default Newbie with sick plant

Hello; I am new to this & relatively new to orchid growing. I have
been reading the posts for a while & hope I am entering the discussion
properly..... I have a question I wonder if some of the members could
help with.
I bought a Blc. in the fall & when I got it home & out of its pot I
found it had over 75% rotten roots. They were embedded in a soggy,
mossy, chunk of fibrous stuff wedged in a pot full of bark. I cut off
all the roots I dared, dusted it with charcoal, dried it out for a
couple of days & repotted it in clean bark chips. It started
declining; I finally depotted it again & found most of the rest of the
roots had rotted too. I may have watered & misted it overzealously.
Now it is sitting bare-root in a pot; most of the roots are stiff &
black; the 4 pseudobulbs are shrivelled to the texture of raisins &
the leaves are starting to be a bit soft, & a little pitted on the
tops. It has 2 good roots, both with brown spots. I am having
trouble deciding how much water to give it; the humidity is around
50-60% in the house. It's taking a long time to die & I wondered if
there was anything else I could do to resurrect it? (If you are
stupid enough to buy a scruffy overpriced orchid from a vendor that
can recognize a sucker, I guess you deserve what you get...serves me
right.)
I also wondered if anyone has ever used those "miracle plant growth
hormone" potions one sees advertised... the kind that will turn your
nearly-dead plant into a vibrant bloomer. I don't believe it, but
wondered if anyone has an opinion on them.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Alison