Old 12-11-2006, 04:34 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
P. van Rijckevorsel P. van Rijckevorsel is offline

Default ### Mini FAQ for sci.bio.botany # 086 ###

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" schreef
IPNI is incomplete in other ways. It is rather thin on the names of
hybrids. It's also missing some other names - I've found some names in
INRA's synonymy of the French Flora that weren't in IPNI, and also some
names in Adansonia.

Regional lists, usually lacking or with incomplete synonymies, are
appearing on the web - it used to be that Australia was the world leader,
but now there's a complete set for southern Africa, and I haven't yet
found a list for Queensland.

I've been updating my list of floras and checklists, and the new version
is, for the time being, at

http://www.malvaceae.info/PHPlib/Floras.php

(I'm thinking of putting a form in front of this so that the reader can
select and region of interest.)

It may be worth mentioning sources of literature, such as

Google Scholar (http://www.google.com/advanced_scholar_search)
Gallica (http://gallica.bnf.fr)
Botanicus (http://www.botanicus.org)

and perhaps some of the journals with online archives, such as Am.J.Bot.,
Ann.Bot., Mol.Biol.Evol.

Something else with is happening is the creation of web sites including
herbarium catalogues, or even images of herbarium specimens.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

***
Thank you. Yes, the internet is moving fast. As to herbarium specimens
online: I am not sure much new websites have been added (the idea took off
quite a while ago). Most herbarium material is not very appealing anyway. A
site such as Florabase (or the Flora of Panama) is much more useful, with
pictures of living material.

I probably need to rethink this FAQ. I have been posting it for quite a
while now with only minimum updates. However, it already contains more
information than many of the visitors are likely to use.

Anyway, you have put quite a page of floras together!
PvR