Old 13-11-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Sweet Potato storage

friends! Free salad buffet!"

But that's not the question, which is: How long can I expect the 4
carrot-sized tubers I got to keep in a cool dry cellar pantry?

I still have 6 that I raised during the summer of 2005. After digging then
I cured them for 2 weeks in the warmest room in the house, and them put them
down in the basement where it stays about 67F. I entered them in the Fair
the first week in august, received a blue ribbon,a, brought them home and
here they still are. I am going to see if they will keep until March and if
so, I will try to raise a crop of slips from them.

Do I have any chance of growing the cuttings I took The cuttings, which
rooted quickly in water and now live in a glass on the
windowsill should really be potted in dirt, no?

I would wait until spring and see what you have, but that isnt the way to
raise a sweet potato slip. In March I lay between 10 and 15 sweet potatoes
into a plastic gardening tray that is approx 2 ft long and 16 inches wide.
They can touch, but not lay on each other. Then I put about 1/2 inch of
water in the tray and set it on top of my deep freeze. The top stays warm
because it is a frosts free freezer, and that starts the slips. Then when
it is warm enough outside that it wont frost anymore, I set the tray on the
deck. Then as I need them, I pull the slips off the potatoes, clean the
bottom leaves off and set them into a can 1/2 full of water. They stay
there for 3 days to several weeks, until I am ready to plant them.

If I can help you any further, e-mail me. Remember when you dig the crop,
the smaller ones taste better than the larger ones. I wash them off really
good, pat them dry, coat them with cooking oil, roll them in tin foil and
bake them for an hour at 350 degrees. They are so sweet (if you cured them
properly) that I dont have to add sugar, and moist enough I dont have to add
butter.

Dwayne

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic