Old 13-11-2006, 08:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b told2b is offline

Default Controlling Wisteria

Persephone wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:20:15 GMT, Johnny Borborigmi
wrote:

Thanks to both.

Question 1. Are these appropriate dates for Southern Calif? Our
"summer" and "winter" are different from other parts of the country.

Question 2. Neither kind poster discussed VERTICAL pruning.
Remember my question about "pruning from the top"?

Realize that I now have to deal with several years of uninformed
non-pruning.

TIA

Persephone

My experience with Wisteria is in zone 6, NJ.

Pruning the top of the vine does not inhibit future top growth.
But it will probably cause excessive vegetative bottom growth in the
Spring.
Do not try to 'fix' the vine in one season, but do get rid of all the
suckers.
If you do excessive corrective pruning all at once you will probably
have to wait two or more years for flowering to commence again.
Good Luck.