Old 13-11-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default Phal. Equestris coerulea?

It is hard to identify what I can not see even in the best of circumstances.

Many blue varieties of equestris are, to my eyes, really purple or pink and
I have to really want to see blue in order to see it. Those that do look
blue, usually look kind of muddy.

I hesitate to use the terms "alba" or "coerulea" because they might be
confusing. There is a white-ish equestris with a *very* pale blue-ish lip
shown in an image on one website dedicated to blue Phals that would make a
very good foundation plant for a blue-lip breeding line in this species for
someone intending to produce darker blue-lipped progeny.

Search the middle of the page for a cultivar labeled:
Phalaenopsis equestris var cyanochilus 'Martel's Blue'
http://www.sapphiredragonorchids.com/SDOgallery.htm

I kind of like it...

"Orchis" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

can someone help me to identify my equestris siedling please?
I got it as equestris coerulea and it got to be (as seller)
very light blue (alba?) with dark blue lip. Is it may be some
equestris 'Blue Lip'?...

Many thanks.