Old 13-11-2006, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default LT 125 - like to bypass the seat auto shut off

zm wrote:
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Andy writes:

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, from Sears, and I simply
raised the seat ( it tips up) and saw the seat switch . It has
a little plunger thingy that depresses when you sit down.
I detached the switch assembly from the holding bracket,
and wound several turns of black plastic electrical tape
around it , depressing the plunger thingy and keeping
it in the "seat depressed" position. Then I just set it
in a cranny under the seat where it wouldn't get cracked
or messed with and put the seat back.....

If I want to restore it, all I have to do is tip the seat,
pull off the plastic tape, and snap the switch back into
position...

I agree that the seat is a pain in the ass, especially if
I am mowing and see a brick or log in the way......

There is a similar lockout for going into reverse -- the
engine will die if the blade is engaged while in reverse.
Fortunately the Craftsman mower has an additional
key switch position to override this. At least somebody
in the lawn tractor factory has had to actually use the
product at some time (grin)...

Good luck,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If all of your neighbors have been invited to the
Jerry Springer Xmas reunion show, you might
live in Eureka, Texas )