Old 13-11-2006, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default "Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Grown in too dry conditions.
And/or Wrong variety. You don't say which variety but floury ones
will do as you say especially if they have been subject to drought
conditions. Try some waxy ones and/or drought tolerant ones next
year.

Kestral (SE), Spey (MC) and Romano (MC) seem Ok for us

..
Hello Bob,
I'm replying to your later post about watering and slugs. I saw that
on Google but my news server hasn't picked it up.

Yes, I know we're in a very fortunate position with our private water
supply and it's been a godsend this year. Funny this thing with slugs
though, it seems to be almost impossible to make reliable predictions
about what will or won't be damaged by slugs anywhere except for one's
own garden. Desiree has always been one of the least bad ones for slug
damage here. Almost all white maincrop spuds are bad, anything floury
is bad.
The only white maincrop we've had much success with is Valor, some of
the whites with red eyes are not too bad, Picasso and Kestrel haven't
been too bad.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp