Old 13-11-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Shade climber

"P. Alves" wrote Hi everyone,

can you recommend me an evergreen climber to grow in shade? No sun at
all and a bit wet in winter... am I asking a miracle?? )

I need to cover my neighbour's wall that it is more or less 3 meters.

How about Pyracantha. That's evergreen, will grow in shade and looks
good trained against a wall, plus you get the vivid berries in autumn.

Then there's dozens of varieties of Ivy.

Or you could use Euonymous fortunei, e.g. Emerald Gaiety which makes a
handsome green and white variegated wall shrub and would show up nicely
in shade. There are various cultivars with different colouring.
It will start to self cling once it gets established against a wall but
far easier to keep under control than ivy imo. The berries aren't
conspicuous but I've noticed that robins in particular seem to enjoy
them as soon as they ripen.

--
Sue