Old 13-11-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Merlin Merlin is offline

Default Quinces - speckles and brown insides

La Puce wrote:

Merlin wrote:
I have two very productive quince trees, however a large proportion of
the fruit is affected by a "problem". The skin has largish numbers of
tiny black / grey dots and when you cut (hack!) the fruit open the
inside is heavily veined with brown to such an extent that 50%+ of the
fruit mass is brown and because it's veined that makes 100% of the fruit
mass useless.
Does anyone recognise this condition and can anyone put a name to it?
And ideally of course, I'd like to know what I can do to prevent it in
future.

How are the leaves and branches? Do you have black dots on the leaves
too? Or are they red? You might have Monilinia fructicolia (fruit rot).
Are the trees shadowed by a larger tree?

The leaves and branches seem fine, I'm not by the trees at the moment
(and since it's autumn it wouldn't help much if I was grin) but as far
as I can recall there were no black spots or other leaf problems. Just
the fruit.

The quince trees are not shadowed. They are in an orchard and only in
late evening is there any possibility of shadow. To the north of them
there is a wood with tall oaks but that's 20 or more metres away.

Thanks for the ideas. Is there a good site to look at pictures of these
sorts of problems?

Merl