Old 14-11-2006, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Controlling Wisteria

On 13 Nov 2006 00:37:56 -0800, "told2b" wrote:

Persephone wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:20:15 GMT, Johnny Borborigmi
wrote:

Thanks to both.

Question 1. Are these appropriate dates for Southern Calif? Our
"summer" and "winter" are different from other parts of the country.

Question 2. Neither kind poster discussed VERTICAL pruning.
Remember my question about "pruning from the top"?

Realize that I now have to deal with several years of uninformed
non-pruning.

TIA

Persephone

My experience with Wisteria is in zone 6, NJ.

OK - quite a different climate.

Any Southern Calif. gardeners here who have Wisteria
experience/problems?

Pruning the top of the vine does not inhibit future top growth.

Makes sense; I shouldn't have swallowed gardener's dictum whole.

But it will probably cause excessive vegetative bottom growth in the
Spring.

Precisely what happened! Now I know g...

Do not try to 'fix' the vine in one season, but do get rid of all the
suckers.

Sigh! Very dense and very high. Will work on the suckers if I can
locate them, but it's going to be tough.

If you do excessive corrective pruning all at once you will probably
have to wait two or more years for flowering to commence again.

Seems like that is what happened, and gardener's absolute caveat
is not valid.

Good Luck.

Thanks..will need it.

Guess the only way to deal with upstarts all over the garden
is just to pull them out... right?

Persephone