Old 14-11-2006, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default Why get rid of weeds

"Steve" wrote in message
To warp this thread around to something half way serious, I have often
wondered if I am wasting my time pulling and hoeing the weed Purslane. It
only gets several inches tall and forms a dense carpet that would probably
exclude other taller weeds. If I keep letting it go to seed, I think it
would soon be the only surviving weed in the whole garden.
Maybe it wouldn't be good with some plants like carrots or spinach but I
can't think it would compete much with corn or cabbage.
This thought came to me when I was really tired of weeding last summer and
it's probably more an indication of laziness than it is a good idea.

Steve
PS don't tell me to eat the stuff. I know it's edible but it tastes bad
raw and I will not likely ever bother to try it cooked.

Maybe you don't like the taste of it, but I think purslane makes an
excellent salad. I chop up the stems and leaves, maybe some onion, add oil
and vinegar. Unlike many salads, it improves with a little age.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7