Old 14-11-2006, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robbo Robbo is offline

Default Planned rose bed help

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am constructing a largish rose bed in my garden. I have marked out and
am removing the turf, well more matted weeds really. The "soil" beneath is
very poor, consisting of clay and sand mixed with many pebbles of various
sizes, it is impossible to dig without loosening with a pickaxe. If I dig
in plenty of horse manure would this suffice, or need I remove a spit deep
and then replace with imported top soil?

Some very good advice here
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...38/ai_14988864