Old 14-11-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Quinces - speckles and brown insides

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:

| A couple of wild guesses: shortage of water (bitter pit in apples is
| more common in dry seasons) and boron deficiency (associated with
| browning of some root crops and others). Probably neither of these,
| but both easy to correct on a just-in-case basis.

Possibly too MUCH water. I am no expert, but have observed that true
quinces tend to have problems in wet years - it is another Asia Minor
plant, after all.

Chaenomeles seems to have had a bumper year, and I have more than I
know what to do with.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.