Old 14-11-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default "Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why?

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

Mary Fisher: yes, I agree that "turns to mush as soon as they hit the
water" is probably exageration, I interpreted that to mean "quite
quickly" !

Well that's good, saves fuel.

Sam: yes, it is a genuine question, and I have to admit that I don't
start spuds off in cold water - and I've been cooking all my life!
(Thinks, in indignant tone: "I'm a GOOD cook! How can I not have heard
about this??")

You're not Yorkshire or Scottish, it's another way of saving fuel!

Try it!

I boil potatoes for not more than ten minutes but I do use black pans
which
I swear cook faster than ss ones. Yes, I've done comparative tests!

How does it do that?
--
June Hughes

It all boils down to the specific heat of the metal and the bulk of metal on
the base.. Copper is best, followed by aluminium and then cast iron/steel.
Copper and Aluminium are expensive so tend to be have fairly thin bases
whereas iron pans can be made thick.